Learning by coaching
TTraditional courses have a solid place in our industry for training young and experienced professionals. These courses typically last several days/weeks and target groups of students. Supplementary to its’ course provision, EPTS can also provide focussed coaching sessions to address specific business challenges or skills development requirements.
EPTS sees coaching as a wide variety of support methods to provide a more direct, focussed and personal approach to improve the client's quality of work. This can take several forms depending on the purpose:
- Development of individual's discipline skills. Young employees often require assistance to help them progress their skills and their projects. In larger companies this assistance may be available inhouse, but in many organisations it is difficult to find good internal coaches with sufficient time and interest.
- Workshops with small groups to address a particular subject. Typically, areas that require a high degree of integration would benefit from this approach with the relevant subsurface disciplines represented in the target group. If needed, a coaching team of different disciplines can be involved. EPTS also has an Organisational Effectiveness expert available to assist team processes.
- Reviewing work done, either specialized discipline work, or teamwork, like an integrated reservoir modelling project, to help the team to progress. This can be done either in "assist" mode or to provide an independent "quality assurance":
- In Assist mode it is essential to be involved early in the project to enable steer up front rather than when all the work is completed.
- Quality control of work done to provide a basis for project quality management. Often, QC is done by colleagues from a different team or from within the same group. Using EPTS experts would provide an independent view or second opinion.
- Coaching a company or a team to improve performance by building, improving and implementing internal guidelines and standardised workflows.
Coaching can be opted for at the time it is needed and at a pace that matches the needs. It is an optimal form of "on the job training" and frequently provides more tangible results than formal training.
How will it work?
Coaching support can be accomplished through a call-off contract with a simple hourly rate. In consultation, a (series of) remote session(s) is set up to identify and address the knowledge gap(s) and to estimate the required amount of time.
EPTS experts are all very experienced professionals and have spent most of their career in major players in the industry. They are well equipped to help with "on the job" coaching, either as follow-on after delivering a regular course, or as a separate activity. Check their CV's under "about us".